Featured Post

Friday, September 29, 2023

Making a Node with Raspberry Pi

The first video I found was by Red Beard Engineered.  It is brief, less than 9 minutes, but nicely shows how a person can simply set up a Bitcoin (BTC) Lightning Network (LN) node.

The kit that he bought was a package deal still available on Amazon.  I bought that this week.  The only thing that the package lacks is the hard drive.  It seems cheaper to get an internal drive and a case in which to put it compared to the cost of getting an external drive.

He recommended the 8 GB Raspberry Pi 4 (that package linked above).  He also recommended getting at least a 2 TB drive.  The node will download its own copy of the BTC blockchain (about 500 GB in August of 2023).  Also, the OS and other apps will take up some space.  I decided to get a 4 TB drive so that I would have plenty of space for other apps and for growth of the blockchain.

The OS that he used on his Raspberry Pi was Umbrel.  The process for installing it on the Raspberry Pi looked simple, and he goes over that in the video above, too.  This seemed to be something that I could easily do.

I ordered this drive and this case.  Except for maybe needing a USB cord if it doesn't come with those items, I should have all necessary parts by early next week.  In the meantime, I started listening to podcasts and watching videos about LN.

No comments:

Post a Comment